Are Your Headaches Caused by Dental Health Problems?
If you’ve been struggling with headaches, you may be trying to find a cause and remedy. Many tend to overlook the possibility that a bad tooth could be causing headaches.
Here at Midtown Endodontist NYC, we’ll help you determine whether you have any dental health problems and provide the treatment you need to regain a healthy, pain-free life.
Can Teeth Pain Cause Headache?
Yes, problems with your teeth could be causing your headaches. The trigeminal nerve, which is the largest nerve in your head, runs through both your head and face. If you are experiencing pain in one area, such as a toothache, the nerve can become irritated, resulting in a headache.
5 Common Types of Tooth Issues That Can Cause Headaches
If you’ve been suffering from headaches, explore five of the most common types of tooth issues that could be causing them:
- Cavities: An untreated cavity causes inflammation within the tooth. Whenever the hard surface of your tooth is damaged, the nerve endings send out pain signals. You could start feeling this pain in other areas because of the trigeminal nerve.
- Dental abscess: An abscess can occur if a bacterial infection in your mouth goes untreated. A pocket of pus can form, leading to moderate to severe pain. This pain can be felt in your head and even develop into a migraine.
- Damaged teeth: Whether due to an accident or sporting injury, nerve tissue can become exposed any time your tooth gets cracked or broken. The pain can move from the mouth to other areas like your head.
- Bite issues: Having an underbite or overbite can lead to difficulty eating or cause you to grind your teeth. Bite issues can irritate the nerves in your mouth, sending that pain to your head.
- Teeth grinding: If you have symptoms like sensitive or chipped teeth, you could be grinding your teeth when you sleep. From stress to alignment issues, a variety of factors could cause grinding. The strain from grinding your teeth, which is also known as bruxism, often results in tension headaches.
Request a Free Consultation Today
Have you been experiencing persistent pain and headaches? At Midtown Endodontist NYC, our specialists can provide treatments like root canal therapy to help you find the relief you deserve.
Schedule a free consultation today to learn more.