Everyday Dental Habits That Will Save Your Natural Teeth
Maintaining oral health is essential for a healthy lifestyle. Taking small steps each day can go a long way to benefit your overall oral hygiene. When practiced regularly, dental habits can help prevent tooth decay, bad breath, gum disease and even tooth loss. There are many ways you can save your natural teeth — just by following a few helpful mouth care tips.
Seven Mouth Care Tips to Save Your Natural Teeth
Everyone knows that brushing and flossing every day is crucial to oral health. How you care for your teeth, along with other daily habits, has the potential to impact your oral health significantly. Good habits that help maintain hygiene for natural teeth include:
- Flossing: Clean leftover food particles in-between teeth at least once a day. The time of day does not matter — just remember to incorporate this healthy habit into your daily routine and stick to it!
- Use a therapeutic mouthwash: A therapeutic mouthwash can save your natural teeth by destroying bacteria. Therapeutic mouthwash has active ingredients that help reduce gingivitis, plaque, bad breath and cavities.
- Brush your tongue: Your tongue is just as much of a target for bacteria as your teeth, so cleaning your tongue daily is crucial to oral health. Removing plaque buildup on your tongue during the day can help you steer clear of other issues like bad breath.
- Eat tooth-friendly foods: While foods like candy and soda contribute to tooth decay, healthy foods such as cheese, nuts and crunchy fruits and vegetables can increase the overall health of your mouth. Unsweetened coffee, tea and sugar-free gum can also fight against bacteria and plaque buildup.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Professional dental check-ups and teeth cleanings should be scheduled every three to six months. To take good care of your teeth, it’s essential to visit a professional who will screen for cavities and gum disease.
- Brush your teeth before bed: Brushing your teeth before bed can help prevent plaque buildup and tooth decay. While it’s important to brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste for two minutes each time, brushing before bed is a must. Saliva production decreases at night, allowing excess plaque to build up on your tooth enamel.
- Avoid smoking, tobacco and alcohol: To save your natural teeth, try drinking alcohol in moderation and avoiding tobacco and smoking. Smoking can lead to dental problems such as tooth discoloration, bad breath, increased risk of developing gum disease, a lower success rate of dental implant procedures and more.
Call Midtown Endodontist NYC for a Root Canal Appointment Today
To ensure optimal health for your natural teeth, incorporate these seven healthy habits into your daily routine. Contact Midtown Endodontist NYC for more information about how you can improve your overall oral hygiene, or to schedule an appointment with one of our specialists.
At Midtown Endodontist NYC, our highly trained endodontists provide coordinated care with a variety of specialty services under one roof. We treat all root canal-related issues, including relieving pain, performing emergency root canals and root canal retreatment. Contact us for a root canal appointment today.