Can You Drive After Root Canal Therapy?
Planning for Root Canal Therapy is always ideal. This way you can be accompanied and someone can drive you home. Many times emergencies occur, or there is no one to come with you. Life is hectic in this world. So you must go to the endodontist by yourself. In most instances, you will indeed be able to drive home. There are some caveats to consider.
Can I Drive Home After A Root Canal Therapy?
If you have a low tolerance of pain this can affect the concentration needed for safe driving. If you had a complex procedure or if the root canal is accompanied by other oral procedures necessitating long hours in the chair; this can lead to being tired or having a headache which in turn could affect safe driving protocols.
When Should Someone Else Drive?
- If you have an allergic reaction to an anesthetic i.e. lidocaine.
- Use of sedation or general anesthesia. If these were used you cannot drive for 12-24 hours post-procedure.
- Use of narcotics for pain relief: Can cause drowsiness and poor reaction times. Narcotics may be given under the following conditions:
- Severe anxiety
- Gag reflex
- Cognitive impairments
- Multiple procedures at the same visit
When Is It Safe To Drive?
If a local anesthetic was used you can drive shortly after. If dizzy or nauseous following the root canal procedure, wait until you are feeling good to drive.
When Can You Go Back to Work?
Typically, same day if local anesthetic is used. Everyone tolerates stress differently so if tired or drained, wait a day.
When Can We Return to Other Activities?
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 1-2 days.
- You can walk or ride an exercise bike following the root canal procedure.
- Don’t eat until the numbness is gone.
- Don’t eat anything hot.
- Don’t eat anything hard.
- Eat soft foods such as eggs, pasta, and soups.
- Avoid alcohol especially if taking narcotics.
- Brush and floss normally.
Potential Complications Following Root Canal Therapy
- Temporary filling falls out
If you are experiencing any of these conditions, please call our office ASAP.
Root Canal Therapy at Midtown Endodontist NYC
Root Canal Therapy in the hands of Dr. Steven Lipner (Midtown Endodontist NYC) is an easy, stress-free procedure that alleviates discomfort and saves teeth. Dr. Lipner uses a microscope to ensure conservative and precise care. If a local anesthetic is used (99% of the time) patients go back to work and resume their activities of daily living on the same day as treatment. Folks who had severe infections, those who are anxious and need general anesthesia need an extra day to recover. Midtown Endodontist NYC is ready to turn your toothache into a smile.